Merrion Square was originally a private square for the sole use of local residents. It was purchased by the Catholic church in 1930 with the intention of building a cathedral on the site. This never materialised and Dublin Corporation took over ownership of the park in 1974.
DCC are undertaking a broad scale renovation of Merrion Square Park. These works are being guided by the Conservation & Management Plan which was completed in 2014. Re-establishing the original ‘jardin Anglaise’ layout is the main focus of the renovation works.
Read full article on http://omos.ie/merrion-square/